Dr Karen Johnson did research and led tours for many years based at the Churchill Northern Studies Centre in Churchill, MB. After a Ph.D. in botany, she worked as a post-doc for three years on the International Biological Program, an inventory of the biological...
Bulbs are fascinating structures and are present on all continents other than Antarctica. They grow in a variety of different environments including some of the harshest and wettest. Only a few are commonly available in the trade but there are so many more unusual...
Calgary rock gardeners will present photos and discuss five to ten of their favourite rock garden plants. Find out what grows well in Calgary and how to grow it.
Calgary Rock & Alpine Garden Society (CRAGS) is a group interested in growing alpine plants in Calgary’s challenging climate. Alpine plants are perennials found near or above the tree line in mountainous areas.
Why garden with rock and alpine plants?
- compact size means more variety in a small space
- hardy plants, well-suited to Calgary’s climate
- unique and diverse plants from the mountain regions of the world
- small troughs or large crevice gardens can be showcases
- native plants support pollinators
- use of rocks and alpine plants is inspired by nature
Join CRAGS and learn from interesting speakers about plants, garden design, and travel by plant-lovers, enjoy workshops to advance your gardening skills, be inspired by local garden tours (members only), get friendly advice and support, and make new friends in a small club.