Shawn Hillis will show us some of the wonderful species and hybrid Lady-Slipper Orchids that will grow in our area, and discuss how to plant and care for these gems in Calgary gardens. For over a decade, Shawn has operated his nursery Garden Slippers in Calgary,...read more
Thursday, Jan 11, 2018: Annual Potluck Supper, and Irena Burns “Czech International Rock Garden Conference”
CRAGS member Irena travelled to Prague in May 2017 for this outstanding conference, which included talks and many garden tours of the incomparable Czech gardens. Czech gardeners have led the rock gardening world with their approach to crevice-style gardens. Irena...read more
Calgary Rock & Alpine Garden Society (CRAGS) is a group interested in growing alpine plants in Calgary’s challenging climate. Alpine plants are perennials found near or above the tree line in mountainous areas.
Why garden with rock and alpine plants?
- compact size means more variety in a small space
- hardy plants, well-suited to Calgary’s climate
- unique and diverse plants from the mountain regions of the world
- small troughs or large crevice gardens can be showcases
- native plants support pollinators
- use of rocks and alpine plants is inspired by nature
Join CRAGS and learn from interesting speakers about plants, garden design, and travel by plant-lovers, enjoy workshops to advance your gardening skills, be inspired by local garden tours (members only), get friendly advice and support, and make new friends in a small club.